I did a version of this many years ago on a long defunct blog. It was a variation of a meme going around at the time listing 100 things about the author, but maybe it was Mother's Day, or something similar, and I felt like celebrating you instead. I feel the same way today. So, with much love and great respect, here are 50 things I know about you:
1. You do your best.
2. You doubt your best is good enough.
3. It truly is.
4. So relax about it.
5. At times you feel invisible.
6. Though your smile lights up a room.
7. And your laughter a universe.
8. Use them often.
9. They make you beautiful.
10. Gospel truth.
11. You worry a lot.
12. Which is useful, sometimes, for making plans.
13. But not for hiding.
14. You're needed out here.
15. In spite of your imperfections.
16. Because of your imperfections.
17. And all the gifts you have that you casually discount.
18. Stop doing that.
19. Accept them. Grow them. Stand tall on them.
20. Share them.
21. Sometimes the world rests on your shoulders and you don't always want to bear the weight.
22. It's okay.
23. You don't always have to.
24. Put it down for a minute and catch your breath.
25. Jump in puddles, climb trees, sing in the rain.
26. The world will still be there tomorrow.
27. You will still have the courage to face it tomorrow.
28. However difficult it feels.
29. That's what makes it courage.
30. That's what keeps whole worlds in motion.
31. Whenever you doubt your worth or your place.
32. Please remember that.
33. Your life might not be what you expected it to be.
34. It's still your life.
35. And there's still time enough.
36. If not to be a ballerina, then to dance.
37. If not a doctor, then to heal.
38. So dance, so heal.
39. Sometimes you're too busy for the things that bring you joy.
40. It feels self-indulgent, maybe, or selfish.
41. Even if you had the time.
41. Make the time.
42. Say no to something else.
43. Because your joy is the least selfish thing about you.
44. It's treasure, and charm, and wonder, and delight.
45. It's unique. It's powerful.
46. Which makes you unique. And powerful.
47. Also gospel truth.
48. Don't worry about changing the world.
49. Just by showing up.
50. You already have.
Happy New Year.